Rassie Erasmus hits back at All Blacks slow-play claims

Adnaan Mohamed

The first Test of Rugby’s Greatest Rivalry Series has already produced its opening skirmish.

Springbok coach Rassie Erasmus has dismissed suggestions that South Africa deliberately slows the game at set pieces, insisting his team will stick to its systems when the All Blacks arrive at 10bet Ellis Park on Saturday.

“There are always three truths: New Zealand’s truth, the truth people believe, and our truth,” Erasmus said.

The comments come as the pre-Test needle begins to prick. New Zealand has promoted a high-intensity, multi-phase style, with suggestions that the Springboks could seek to disrupt that rhythm.

Erasmus is having none of it.

“In our last two games against New Zealand in Auckland and Wellington, people can go and look at those games and ask were we slowing those down. They beat us in Auckland, and we got a good result in Wellington.”

For Erasmus, Test rugby is not about satisfying outside narratives but more about surviving the furnace when pressure reaches boiling point.

“We believe there’s a certain way to win big games and we think it will be a grind.”

That grind could become the defining feature of Saturday’s opening act.

“When you’re under pressure and you attack, it’s tough to maintain cohesion,” Erasmus said. “We will try to find a balance when games are really tight, but we have a system to fall back on that protects the players.”

Tony Brown’s influence has also helped shape the Boks’ attacking approach.

“Since Tony Brown, former All Black flyhalf and current Springbok assistant coach, has been with us, we feel as though we’ve been on the right track.”

SA Rugby laws advisor Jaco Peyper then entered the fray, offering a technical explanation of the much-discussed 30-second set-piece law.

“The law is very clear. From the moment the referee puts his foot down to mark the spot, not from the whistle, there is 30 seconds to form a lineout or scrum.”

Peyper said teams could manage the moments before the mark is made within the laws, while opponents who are ready to play can apply pressure.

“There’s nothing in the law that says you can’t idle before the mark is given.”

He also pointed out that teams can disrupt tempo through repeated infringements at breakdowns and mauls.

The whistle, in other words, could become a metronome for a Test where every second matters.

Peyper has full confidence in the officials appointed for the four-Test series, particularly England’s Matthew Carley, who will referee Saturday’s opener.

“You’re going to have a firm referee. Someone who deals decisively at the breakdown and is very strong on anything negative or cynical. And he does not get influenced by the home crowd.”

That could be music to the ears of both coaching boxes.

Erasmus expects the All Blacks to bring a blue-chip attacking blueprint to Johannesburg.

“You can see it on social media. They’re advocating a high intensity, running game, with multi-phase attacks. And when you analyse it, it definitely shows in the stats.”

Dave Rennie, who Erasmus previously faced during his Munster days, adds another tactical layer to the contest.

“The big battle is going to be when they have the ball, they’ll have total control of what they do with it, and when we have the ball, we’ll have total control of what we do with it.”

The biggest concern for Erasmus is the All Blacks’ breakdown work.

“What concerns us most is how physical and brutal they are at the breakdown. They take the ball through so many phases and then they put in a well-timed grubber kick. Their attacking kicks are as dangerous as when they have ball-in-hand.”

Away from the tactical chessboard, Erasmus admitted the Springboks are embracing the occasion.

“We all appreciate and respect what this series means,” he said.

“I’d love it if the people at Ellis Park create the same atmosphere as that which the people did in Cape Town. The haka was heard 100%, which makes it something special.”

The Springbok coach also knows the All Blacks remain capable of delivering a sting.

“We know how good the All Blacks are. Since 2018, when they were leading the world, we’ve always wondered when they’re going to beat us again, and they will beat us again in future, but hopefully not this weekend.”

Erasmus will name his team on Thursday, with captain Siya Kolisi and prop Ox Nche the only injury concerns.

“The only two doubtful players are Siya and Ox, who are coming along well,” he said. “I wouldn’t say either is confirmed out, but if they get through training today it could go either way. Apart from those two, everybody else is available.”

The All Blacks are also expected to unveil a few tactical surprises.

“They’ll have plans they didn’t show in the Nations Championship, little things, such as lineout variations, maybe a front peel or back peel move, and there are things that have caught us out before.”

The stage is set.

The talking has started.

Now Ellis Park gets the final word.

South Africa face New Zealand at 17h10 on Saturday, with the match live on SuperSport.

Springbok Stars Dominate World Rugby Awards Nominations

By Adnaan Mohamed

South Africa’s rugby powerhouse flexed its muscles again this week as four Springboks crashed through the global recognition line like flankers hitting a ruck at full tilt.

Pieter-Steph du Toit, Malcolm Marx, Ox Nche and rising star Ethan Hooker were all shortlisted for major honours at the 2026 World Rugby Awards announced on Tuesday.

Du Toit, already etched in history as the first South African to win the World Men’s 15s Player of the Year twice, is once more in the running for the sport’s highest individual accolade. He is joined by teammates Marx and Nche as well as France’s electric winger Louis Bielle-Biarrey. Marx earns his second career nomination after also being recognised in 2018.

Hooker, meanwhile, finds himself in the global limelight as one of four nominees for World Rugby Men’s 15s Breakthrough Player of the Year, lining up alongside New Zealand’s Fabian Holland, England’s Henry Pollock and Australia’s Joseph-Aukuso Suaalii.

SA Rugby President Mark Alexander praised the quartet’s impact, saying:

“I’d like to congratulate Pieter-Steph, Malcolm, Ox and Ethan for being recognised among the best players in the world.”

He added: “To have three of the four nominees for Men’s 15s Player of the Year from South Africa, as well as Ethan in the Breakthrough category, is a testament to the quality of our players on the global stage.”

Alexander said the recognition reflected the green-and-gold’s consistency and class:
“They have all performed exceptionally well this season and deserve this recognition. On behalf of SA Rugby and the entire country, I want to express how proud we are of them.”

He concluded with a message of encouragement ahead of the final announcement:

“We wish them well ahead of Saturday’s announcement. Regardless of the outcome, being nominated is already a remarkable achievement.”

Only Schalk Burger (2004), Bryan Habana (2007) and Du Toit himself have previously lifted the prestigious World Rugby Player of the Year crown. Other South Africans nominated over the past decade include Willie le Roux, Duane Vermeulen, Faf de Klerk and Lukhanyo Am.

The winners will be announced on Saturday, 22 November, with World Rugby’s Dream Team of the Year set to follow on Tuesday, 25 November.

Boks back Asenathi Ntlabakanye despite doping probe

By Adnaan Mohamed

Asenathi Ntlabakanye’s rugby journey has taken another dramatic twist. Just a week ago, the Lions prop was bulldozing defenders in a Barbarians jersey. Now he’s back in Springbok green and gold right in the middle of a media storm.

The 26-year-old has been called up to replace the injured Ox Nche, who limped off during South Africa’s 61–7 demolition of Japan at Wembley on Saturday.

But Ntlabakanye’s recall comes with added scrutiny, he’s still awaiting an anti-doping hearing in December after testing positive for a non-performance-enhancing substance earlier this year.

Ntlabakanye, who disputes the finding, missed the Boks’ September tour of New Zealand after returning the adverse result. Despite the pending case, he remains eligible to play, and the Bok coaches haven’t hesitated to bring him back into the front-row mix.

“I’m not going to comment on a case that’s ongoing at the moment,” said assistant coach Felix Jones when asked about the issue.

“I’m not sure the world knows about it yet, but his skill set is incredibly impressive. He’s a very dynamic player who can get around for a guy who can handle himself in the scrum or on the ball.”

The timing of his recall couldn’t have been tighter. Ntlabakanye scored a second-minute try for the Barbarians against the All Blacks XV at Twickenham on Saturday, before flying across London to rejoin the Bok squad the very next morning.

A few hours later, he was en route to France, ready to line up against Les Bleus in the Autumn Nations Series this weekend.

Head coach Rassie Erasmus said the call-up was an easy decision:

“We feel for Ox and wish him well in his recovery. Asenathi has been with us for a big part of the season, he knows our systems, and he was already on standby. The fact that he was in London made it an easy fit to slot back in straight away.”

At 141 kilograms, Ntlabakanye brings raw power and energy to the Bok front row. And he’ll need all of it as he battles Gerhard Steenekamp and Boan Venter for a spot against France.

It’s been a whirlwind few months for the Johannesburg-born prop. From Test debut, to controversy, to this sudden recall.

But now, under the bright lights of Paris, he has a shot at redemption and a chance to remind everyone what he does best: dominate the scrum, not the headlines.

Ox Nche back for Rugby Championship ‘Final’

By Adnaan Mohamed

Springbok coach Rassie Erasmus has recalled powerhouse prop Ox Nche for Saturday’s Rugby Championship decider against Argentina at Twickenham in London.

Nche, a late withdrawal in Durban last week, returns to the front row alongside Malcolm Marx and Thomas du Toit. Grant Williams, Jesse Kriel and Bongi Mbonambi are back on the bench in the only other changes to the match-day 23.

“This match is a Final for us, and we know how dangerous Argentina can be, so we selected combinations we feel will be best suited for this game,” said Rassie.

“There are minimal personnel changes, with the bulk of the team having done the job for us last week against the Pumas in Durban and our other Rugby Championship matches.

“Ox and Grant could have played last week if we really needed them, but Boan (Venter) and Morne (van den Berg) did really well, while Jesse was rotated in the last two matches and is raring to go.

The same applies to Bongi, who last played against Australia, and who is excited for this opportunity.

“Their experience, combined with the younger players in the team, makes this an exciting squad, which is exactly what we need in a match that will essentially be the Rugby Championship decider.”

Eben Etzebeth wins his 138th cap in the second row, while Siya Kolisi will lead the side in his 98th Test.

The rest of the starting XV is unchanged, with Cobus Reinach and Sacha Feinberg-Mngomezulu again at halfback and Damian Willemse at fullback.

Erasmus warned of a backlash from the Pumas:

“They may be out of the title race, but they have beaten the All Blacks, Wallabies, and British & Irish Lions this season. It’s going to be another hard grind.”

The Boks will know exactly what result is needed after Australia face New Zealand earlier in the day.

Kick-off is at 15:00 (SA time).

SPRINGBOKS – 15 Damian Willemse, 14 Cheslin Kolbe, 13 Canan Moodie, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Ethan Hooker, 10 Sacha Feinberg-Mngomezulu, 9 Cobus Reinach, 8 Jasper Wiese, 7 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 6 Siya Kolisi (c), 5 Ruan Nortje, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Thomas du Toit, 2 Malcolm Marx, 1 Ox Nche.
Bench: 16 Bongi Mbonambi, 17 Jan-Hendrik Wessels, 18 Wilco Louw, 19 RG Snyman, 20 Kwagga Smith, 21 Grant Williams, 22 Manie Libbok, 23 Jesse Kriel.

Source: SA Rugby